Wednesday, January 9, 2013

RD Programs Available


Here is an important link to information about the different paths you can take to become a registered dietitian.  There are so many different ways and it's often very confusing for someone that has an interest in the field to understand all of their options.  The first step is to read over this page:
http://www.eatright.org/BecomeanRDorDTR/content.aspx?id=8094

I chose a distance dietetics program for many reasons.  First, I have two kids, ages 5 and 8.  While I do have an on-site program nearby, I wanted to make sure that I had time to gain volunteer and/or work related experience while taking classes.  I knew that for me, it would be difficult to volunteer, take classes with a different schedule each semester, factor in a 40 minute commute to campus each way and stay on top of my coursework. 

The advantages of the distance program is that you can do all of your coursework from home.  There is no worrying about getting to class on time, missing class, etc.  Additionally, you will have more flexibility in terms of working or volunteering.  The disadvantages are that you will pay more for the distance program and must be extremely self-motivated.  Distance programs are not for everyone.  It’s important to know whether you have the self-motivation to succeed in a program where there are no classmates nearby and the only way to communicate with your instructor may be via email or phone.  Go to , http://www.eatright.org/, "Become an RD/DTR" to find all of the program options available by state!  You can also limit your search to distance programs.

It’s important to look at all of the programs and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each before making a decision!  It's also important to take note of degree requirements for each program.  For example, I already have a Master's degree in Business Administration.  Of course I would like to obtain another Master's but the local program near me and the distance program I am currently in, both require the RD credential to enter their Master's program. So, I will be getting another bachelor's degree and it will be in dietetics.  Since I already have a bachelor's, I could just take the required DPD courses and then apply for an internship but I've decided to go ahead and get the bachelor's as it's only a few more classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment